Substitute Sugar With Honey

By
I'm always looking for ways to be just a little bit healthier. Just small things that are easy to fit into everyday life. Something that I have wanted to do for quite a while is to cut out, or at least cut back on, sugar.
Now, I didn't want to be so strict with myself that I never even allow myself a cupcake, I love them by the way, but who doesn't! No, I just wanted to try and find a healthy substitute for regular,
processed white sugar.

Just a note: Brown sugar is not healthier than white sugar. I was fooled too!

My decision to cut out white sugar was not so much a decision as something I was forced to do. It was the Thursday evening before Good Friday this year and I was innocently making myself a cup of tea when I realized that we had run out of sugar. If you are a tea addict like me and you like sugar in your tea then you will understand why I was just a little upset. I have to have my cup of tea before bed, but didn't fancy a bitter cup of tea.Want to know the worst bit? All the stores were closed and the next day was a holiday. Oh the horror...

I was desperate at this point and decided to substitute sugar with honey. I sniffed my tea skeptically and took a sip, and another, and you know what? It wasn't half bad. I usually take one teaspoon of sugar in my tea so I decided to take the same amount of honey, one teaspoon. It wasn't as sweet as one sugar usually is so I added a little more, about another half a teaspoon. It was actually good! I didn't really taste any distinct honey taste until the last few sips. I was impressed! With the taste and maybe a little with myself too.

I drink quite a few cups of tea a day, which usually means quite a lot of sugar. I can happily report that I have been having honey in my tea for two weeks now and I feel great. There is another substitute called agave nectar that is very good for you and tastes more like sugar. I have tried it before and liked it, but you have to use very little as it is sweeter than sugar.

You can also use honey instead of sugar in recipes. I made a delicious healthy banana bread the other day and you would never have been able to tell it was made with honey instead of sugar.

In the meantime, if you're still not sure about honey or agave in your tea, try the "sticks." They are convenient, super cheap, and they come in many flavours!

Find more articles like this on health and well-being at the authors personal blog http://totallytamryn.com While you're there, subscribe to the RSS feed to get instant updates first.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Tamryn_J


No comments:

Post a Comment