Lose Fat - Keep Lean Muscle Mass

By
Ketos
Lately all I have been hearing people ask about is fat loss, so I thought I would jot down some notes on Cyclical Ketogenic Diet or CKD for short. This is a diet that I have used on and off for several years. A lot of people call it the bodybuilders' diet. What they mean by that is you lose fat but keep lean muscle mass. With traditional low fat diets you tend to lose muscle mass you do not with this
one. There are a couple down sides to this diet for me. The first being I can not gain mass on it I can loss fat and maintain the lean muscle I do have I just can not gain any more lean muscle. The second problem I have on this diet is the adjustment phase, the first week I am really sluggish.

Some of you are wondering what CKD is, aren't you. The best way I can explain it is it similar to the Atkins diet. With this diet though, you take one or two days to carb up. What you are going to do is eat moderate protein and high fat on this diet, but on the weekends you are going to cut the fat way down and add carbs.

Before we go any further let's get through some of the things that you may be thinking. The first thing if I eat a lot of fat my cholesterol will go up. This is not true, actually test have been done with CKD have shown good cholesterol go up and the bad go down. The next thing you are probably thinking if I eat a lot of fat I will get fat. Wrong again and I will explain why in a little bit. The other thing I hear people say is, the high amount of protein is not good on my kidneys but, remember I said moderate protein not high. In fact you will be taking in less protein than when you are bulking.

Now, why this diet? We know that carbohydrates are what fuel our bodies and give us energy; they also provide glycogen to the muscles. While all this is true it is also true that what ever carbs we don't use go to the liver. The problem with this is then they are turned into triglycerides and stored in fat cells. When on a low carb diet there is no extra to store, and because we know that carbs give us our energy the body has to find another source of energy. What that tells the body is that fat is what it needs to use for energy now. Yes, that's right now you are burning fat for energy. Just doing your very day routine is now burning fat now. How this happens is when the liver is deprived of carbs it produces ketons (a by-product of fatty acids).

Now on Friday afternoon a couple of hours before your workout you are going to cut the fat way back and start loading up on carbs until Saturday at midnight or when you go to bed. What this does is restore the glycogen to the muscles. We need the glycogen in the muscles to get us through our workouts. What happens now is that muscles have been starved of glycogen and now they go in to panic mode and over saturates the cells which helps with repair and also retains more water for a fuller look. Also you have a rise of the growth hormone which is why there is little to no muscle loss.

I guess by now you are wondering how this program works. It is very simple take your bodyweight and multiply it by 15 to get your calories for the day and then subtract 500. So if you are 180 your total calories for the day would be 2200. Now figure you lean body mass meaning your weight minus your body fat percentage multiply that by 1 to give you your protein intake for the day. So if our 180 pound person was only 160 pounds lean weight his protein would be 160 grams per day.

Now multiply 160 by 4 to give you your calories form protein per day which would be 640 calories from protein. Now the remainder of calories which is 1560 comes from fat. This will be done this way Sunday through Friday afternoon. Now when the weekend comes you will cut the fats back to nothing and replace the fat calories with carbs. You don't have to eliminate the fats because the body will still burn them for energy, because all the carbs you are putting in are being converted into glycogen for the muscles. Now you will have so carbs during those 5 days but keep it below 50 grams. Now some people tell you not to count fibrous carbs, but I still do just to be safe. Try to keep most of your carbs from veggies mainly to keep you regular.

Anyway that is the basics of it. This is a diet that has worked great to help me loss fat or cut up. Some people say you can bulk on it I have tried several times and it never has worked for me, but as always train smarter not harder.

Health, Fitness, Bodybuilding and Nutrition
Owner/Operator of http://www.getmassmuscle.com where you find all your supplement and workouts needs. You can also find us on Facebook and Google+ at Get Mass Muscle
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Lantz_A_Anderson